Skip to main content

the easter battle -- a poem

God came to me, rebuked me for my life of sin
and showed to me a way in which we both could win;
I heard his offer out, but in the summit of my pride
I chose to win alone.  God I crucified.

I hanged him on the tree, and on the tree he died.

But God does not just die; he must rise to live again,
and soon returns, rebuking me for my life of sin.
Frustrated with his returning, that he does not simply die,
I choose myself again, and him I crucify.

I hang him on the tree again; on the tree he dies.

He returns and comes again, each time so vital, bold,
that I can only crucify by growing yet more cold.
Where our ending finds us is where we did begin;
we either taste of glory's grace or we crucify with sin.

Each time we hang him on the tree; again on the tree he dies.

Finally, though, my will submits because his grace is so true.
That will now crucified with him; on the tree we die.
My life now found in God with Christ alone, crucified and dead,
I'm raised to life anew with all creation made whole, restored.

Someday we all just give in.