Tim Anderson's Into His Presence: A Theology of Intimacy with God is a book that I've thought for some time we actually needed. Right from the introduction, Anderson explores the depth of what this relationship means for us experientially, and the difference that a rich theology can make in that relationship. The first half of the book comprising four chapters most met the hopes I'd had for this book. His defining "intimacy with God" forces us to think concretely about
all the nebulous thoughts swirling around. Chapter 2 addresses the
subject regarding philosophy and theology with some of that theology
being the most helpful to me. Chapter 3 on linking the fall with
intimacy with God was one of the best in the book and did clear up some
real questions for me. The chapter on God as our Father tied in some
important information as well and made sense of the role of fathers in
our lives that is often written about today.There are some places -- for example, the writing on the marriage of Jesus with the Church -- that get a little dense and feel off track a bit. But on the whole, Into His Presence is a clear start on the theological journey to explore something -- "intimacy with God" -- that has always been too nebulous for my own experience of God.
I hope Anderson gives us more, but this is certainly a very fine start.
__________________
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review here.