August Turak's Brother John describes a time -- a moment, really -- when a successful business man experienced a life changing experience at the Mepkin Abbey in South Carolina. It was a simple act of kindness that changed the entire focus of his life. He wrote about the experience for the Templeton Prize competition, an annual award granted to a living person who "has made an exceptional contribution to affirming life's spiritual dimension, whether through insight, discovery, or practical works". He won the competition in 2004 with an essay to answer the question, "What is the purpose of life?"
The essay, telling of his ongoing relationship with the Trappist monks at Mepkin Abbey and especially his brief encounter with Brother John, has become an adult picture book with illustrations by artist Glenn Harrington. Both the writing and the illustrations are profound. It's easy to be distracted by the glorious illustrations and not focus on the power of the words. The book bears several readings, and I feel could be easily read aloud to a spiritual growth class for a meditation hour.
Those of us who have experienced the same types of spiritual awakening as did Turak can certainly relate to this deceptively simple book. The most important words in the entire growth experience were given to Turak on a piece of paper by his spiritual guide at the abbey, Father Christian. They said, "You would not seek Me if you had not already found Me. And you would not have found Me if I had not first found you". Nothing speaks more directly to the Christian spiritual life than those two sentences. Therefore, it seems appropriate to me that this prayer forms the spiritual basis for the entire book and forms the basis for the rest of Turak's life.
I can't over-emphasize how beautiful the book itself is. Nor can I deny its lasting impact on readers. This certainly isn't a book you read once and put away. It's a book that will stay with you and demand a re-read. And it's a book that demands to be shared with others. So if you're looking for a gift for friends this Christmas season, I think Brother John would be a fabulous idea!
______________________
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review here.
The essay, telling of his ongoing relationship with the Trappist monks at Mepkin Abbey and especially his brief encounter with Brother John, has become an adult picture book with illustrations by artist Glenn Harrington. Both the writing and the illustrations are profound. It's easy to be distracted by the glorious illustrations and not focus on the power of the words. The book bears several readings, and I feel could be easily read aloud to a spiritual growth class for a meditation hour.
Those of us who have experienced the same types of spiritual awakening as did Turak can certainly relate to this deceptively simple book. The most important words in the entire growth experience were given to Turak on a piece of paper by his spiritual guide at the abbey, Father Christian. They said, "You would not seek Me if you had not already found Me. And you would not have found Me if I had not first found you". Nothing speaks more directly to the Christian spiritual life than those two sentences. Therefore, it seems appropriate to me that this prayer forms the spiritual basis for the entire book and forms the basis for the rest of Turak's life.
I can't over-emphasize how beautiful the book itself is. Nor can I deny its lasting impact on readers. This certainly isn't a book you read once and put away. It's a book that will stay with you and demand a re-read. And it's a book that demands to be shared with others. So if you're looking for a gift for friends this Christmas season, I think Brother John would be a fabulous idea!
______________________
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review here.
