Skip to main content

90 books in 90 days -- rerum novarum

  1. Can the State be capable of true charity towards the needy among us?
  2. What unintended consequences tend to arise as a State interjects itself more and more into the private dealings of citizens?
  3. What is the responsibility of the wealthy in society?
  4. What about the responsibility of the working class?
  5. Is an unequal landscape of wealth and position in a country just…let alone good?
These are some questions Pope Leo XIII helps us answer in his powerful 1891 encyclical, Rerum Novarum.  You can read the full text online here.

I first read this encyclical in seminary and it had a dramatic impact on the way I began to think about the theology of political economies.  In particular, it's quite prominent to hear talk about "socialism" in the modern collapse of political dialogue.  It's used more as a threat and a bomb to discourse than a real descriptor.  So I'd say it's about time Christians really look into the Church's stance on socialism.

This is a deeply textured piece that deserves a much wider reading -- particularly in the current climate.