Skip to main content

the life giving leader -- a book review

Tyler Reagin's The Life Giving Leader:  Learning to Lead from Your Truest Self is a book that utilizes clear pastoral insight with rich biblical teaching about the nature of leadership.  Reagin articulates an "identity-based" leadership -- who we are is more important to our leadership than what we do or the pretense of authority we bring.  While there are certainly some places where I felt like it's just another "embrace who you are" book, I think Reagin makes some important connections between Jesus and that identity leadership that should not be neglected.

I am a bit concerned that Reagin relies so heavily upon Andy Stanley in a way that could just as easily have been accomplished by more important pastoral leaders -- I think specifically of Gregory the Great.

In the end, The Life Giving Leader felt more like pop psychology baptized as leadership than a rich book that brings so much to pastoral identity and work. 
____________________________
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review here.