Skip to main content

all the colors we will see -- a book review

Patrice Gopo's All the Colors We Will See:  Reflections on Barriers, Brokenness, and Finding Our Way offers a bold and beautiful account of Gopo's experience growing up in Alaska as an American woman born to Jamaican immigrant parents.  She shares selected memories from what it was like as one of the only brown-skinned children in her school, and how her identity was shaped by various facets of her upbringing.

Gopo offers rich insights and wisdom into a broad range of topics including race relations, commitment, friendship, and identity.  With each essay I read, I kept thinking to myself, "Oh, that was my favorite so far ...", then after finishing another, "No, I think that one was my favorite".  This is an important and timely book that will likely open doors for deep conversation.
_______________________
I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for my honest review here.