Today's devotional:
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:2-10
This is one of those hard biblical texts for many Christians. One who was caught up to the third heaven? Really, now? A person who was caught up into Paradise? We perhaps shiver with discomfort and step back into our comfortable settings, beyond the reach of such dangerous-sounding mysteries. That's not our faith, thank you very much.
But this is our Bible. So what are we to make of such boldness? Over the years, I have encouraged our church's kids to watch for "God Sightings" -- someone going out of their way to help another, a
beautiful moment in creation, a spontaneous prayer. All good ways in which God shows up in our lives. But I couldn't help but wonder: what are the more mysterious moments where God has showed up for us in a big way? And what might happen if we, too, were bold enough to boast about those?
Prayer: Holy Spirit, your power in my life is beyond my comprehension. But sometimes, I shy away from it. Open my heart. Calm my fears. Move powerfully in me, Sweet Spirit, and make me bold to
speak. Amen.
Scripture: 2 Corinthians 12:2-10
This is one of those hard biblical texts for many Christians. One who was caught up to the third heaven? Really, now? A person who was caught up into Paradise? We perhaps shiver with discomfort and step back into our comfortable settings, beyond the reach of such dangerous-sounding mysteries. That's not our faith, thank you very much.
But this is our Bible. So what are we to make of such boldness? Over the years, I have encouraged our church's kids to watch for "God Sightings" -- someone going out of their way to help another, a
beautiful moment in creation, a spontaneous prayer. All good ways in which God shows up in our lives. But I couldn't help but wonder: what are the more mysterious moments where God has showed up for us in a big way? And what might happen if we, too, were bold enough to boast about those?
Prayer: Holy Spirit, your power in my life is beyond my comprehension. But sometimes, I shy away from it. Open my heart. Calm my fears. Move powerfully in me, Sweet Spirit, and make me bold to
speak. Amen.