Skip to main content

good news devotionals

After nearly two years of writing a devotional for the local newspaper, I finally realized I could share those here, as well.  So, starting today, I'll post my "Good News" devotional that I write for the paper here.

I've placed today's beneath the fold.



Scripture:  Mark 5:21-43

Crowds swarm around Jesus as Jairus, "the leader of the Synagogue",
approaches.  He cuts through the crowds and falls at Jesus' feet,
begging Jesus to rescue his daughter from death.  And Jesus responds
immediately and goes with him.  But what of the crowds -- did they not
have needs, too?  Daughters that were ill?  Chronic illnesses that
insurance wouldn't cover?  What of the crowds?

If you were Jairus, would you cut in line?  Would you exercise your
social privilege and pull rank in order to protect your family?  If
you're the local pastor?  Of course you would.

But some poor woman with an embarrassing problem sneaks up and
interrupts Jesus.  So now we have to wait.  Because the Kingdom of God
is big enough and patient enough for everyone!

Prayer:  Thank you, Jesus, for going with us when we ask.  Remind us
that our needs are not the only needs, and help us, like Jairus, to
find a redemption and healing party larger than we had ever dared to
dream.  All we need to do is wait and stick with you.  Amen.