Skip to main content

on my reading

I was visiting a few weeks ago with one of my former (undergrad) profs, on a college visit for the family's next generation of potential Carson-Newman Eagles.  At that time, Dr Brummett asked my niece if she read as voraciously as I read.

I've always had an appetite for books.  I started in middle school, reading all sorts of nature and science books from the library and graduated in late middle school to history books.  By the time I made it to high school, I had read more than lots of others -- particularly in the "classics" and in philosophy.  In college, my reading branched in a number of different directions, and it's really only grown since.

Usually I'm asked how I can read as much as I do.  Depending on genre, I'm reading about 150 pages an hour on average. 

Novels, though, have always been difficult for me to read.  I enjoy them.  In my more snooty moments, I sometimes think the first question every candidate for ordination should be:  "What fiction authors do you read?"  If they can't name at least three, they should be passed over for another year.  If they can name three, the next question should be:  "What poets do you read?"  If they can't name three, they should also be passed over.  If they can name three poets, they should be ordained.  Novels and poems are essential for preaching and pastoral care.  Woe to that pastor who doesn't read!

I have over the past couple of years been rebuilding my personal library.  I've now hit that point at which I have everything I really want in terms of paper copies.  I've only really gotten those that have some personal and practical value.  Everything else I can find online or at the local library. 

My blogging here is something of a reader's journal of late -- most of them reviews of books I've been asked to read.  I realized in that conversation recently that others, though, never really have any accounting.  For example, this is my stack for the New Year's weekend:


Only about half (3/7) are for reviews. 

I suppose my reading interests only become more eclectic with age.