Skip to main content

friday's finds


This week I'm highlighting two books together -- Jennings' The Vocation of the Theologian and Jones & Paulsell's The Scope of Our Art:  The Vocation of the Theological Teacher.  Both are a collection of essays meant to highlight the various ways in which theologians approach teaching as a theological act.  What has always stood out at me is how these essays together feature two primary truths about teaching theology:  The transformation of the student (which is obvious) and the transformation of the teacher (which usually isn't).  Teaching theology is composed of a number of different disciplined formative practices, like prayer and meditation.

I first read Jennings' book at Duke, in a seminar entitled "Thinking Theologically".  While that class was frustrating at the time, it's come to mean a great deal to me over the years.  And The Scope of Our Art features essays from a couple of different teachers over the years (I still pick up the book just to re-read the essay by Fred Norris, of sacred memory, who taught me so much about being a theologian).  

Both of these books are must-reads for theological teachers.