John McDowell and Sean McDowell's Evidence that Demands a Verdict: Life-Changing Truth for a Skeptical World is now completely updated and revised, to reflect some of the important changes over the recent years.
I first read this book (then a two-volume edition) back in the '80s. I was impressed with some of the material in it, even if I remained slightly unconvinced. In the 30 years since, McDowell's now-classic in apologetic literature has given critics quite a bit to mull over. With the huge pushback over the question of the existence and know-ability of truth, the most important section in the book, I think, is a new Part IV -- "Evidence for Truth".
Unfortunately, I fear Christians will use this book to argue with non-Christians. But that has never been the point of apologetics. Apologetics exists so that Christians may find the courage and strength of their own faith, to share the truth in love. If you're looking for a book that will entirely, thoroughly and convincingly get everyone else to agree with you, this is not that book. If, however, you're a Christian who wants to explore with more depth some of the central questions about history and culture that go into making the Christian faith what it is, Evidence that Demands a Verdict is the book for you.
______________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I first read this book (then a two-volume edition) back in the '80s. I was impressed with some of the material in it, even if I remained slightly unconvinced. In the 30 years since, McDowell's now-classic in apologetic literature has given critics quite a bit to mull over. With the huge pushback over the question of the existence and know-ability of truth, the most important section in the book, I think, is a new Part IV -- "Evidence for Truth".
Unfortunately, I fear Christians will use this book to argue with non-Christians. But that has never been the point of apologetics. Apologetics exists so that Christians may find the courage and strength of their own faith, to share the truth in love. If you're looking for a book that will entirely, thoroughly and convincingly get everyone else to agree with you, this is not that book. If, however, you're a Christian who wants to explore with more depth some of the central questions about history and culture that go into making the Christian faith what it is, Evidence that Demands a Verdict is the book for you.
______________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
