What is the role of the theologian in the local church? I think it's a question worth asking.
There appears to be a recognition now in many ecclesial circles that it's important for Christians to think about their faith (though anti-intellectualism in the church is still a problem -- more on this tomorrow). But I do believe that this a good theological practice. But again, I ask: What's the role of the theologian in the local church, the role of the person who's formally studied theology at university, who most likely went beyond an undergrad degree (or at least someone who doesn't sit on their undergrad theology degree and continues to read the latest releases by, say, Brueggeman or Webster)? Is the theologian meant to be a gadfly, buzzing around the latest trends that infiltrate the popular mindset (e.g., does this mean everyone asks this person's opinion of things like The Shack when they appear)? Is the theologian meant to lead worship, Bible studies, or preach? Or what? And how, if someone is a theologian in a formal sense (whatever that might mean -- again, more on this tomorrow), does someone handle the criticism that is implied when no-one really takes you seriously, seeing you merely as a pedant?
(Partly, as I'm sure my gentle readers have already guessed, I'm asking the wider questions of myself.)
There appears to be a recognition now in many ecclesial circles that it's important for Christians to think about their faith (though anti-intellectualism in the church is still a problem -- more on this tomorrow). But I do believe that this a good theological practice. But again, I ask: What's the role of the theologian in the local church, the role of the person who's formally studied theology at university, who most likely went beyond an undergrad degree (or at least someone who doesn't sit on their undergrad theology degree and continues to read the latest releases by, say, Brueggeman or Webster)? Is the theologian meant to be a gadfly, buzzing around the latest trends that infiltrate the popular mindset (e.g., does this mean everyone asks this person's opinion of things like The Shack when they appear)? Is the theologian meant to lead worship, Bible studies, or preach? Or what? And how, if someone is a theologian in a formal sense (whatever that might mean -- again, more on this tomorrow), does someone handle the criticism that is implied when no-one really takes you seriously, seeing you merely as a pedant?
(Partly, as I'm sure my gentle readers have already guessed, I'm asking the wider questions of myself.)