Ed Silvoso's Ekklesia: Rediscovering God's Instrument for Global Transformation highlights a number of ways -- practical and simultaneously theologically-deep -- in which God uses the gathering of those who follow Jesus in revolutionary ways to transform the world. With a rich historical discussion of the context within which most of us understand the word "church", Silvoso explores how it was that the early Church was able to confront and transform the Roman world.
Silvoso is at his best, though, when he asks readers to take that historical understanding and turn a critical eye toward our own world. He raises criticisms of how we "apply" the Great Commission in our world.
This is an amazing book -- one with which I'll be turning over and arguing with for a long time to come.
________________
I received a free copy of this book from Chosen Books in exchange for my honest review here.
Silvoso is at his best, though, when he asks readers to take that historical understanding and turn a critical eye toward our own world. He raises criticisms of how we "apply" the Great Commission in our world.
This is an amazing book -- one with which I'll be turning over and arguing with for a long time to come.
________________
I received a free copy of this book from Chosen Books in exchange for my honest review here.
