Robert Hutchinson's The Dawn of Christianity: How God Used Simple Fishermen, Soldiers, and Prostitutes to Transform the World continues Hutchinson's historical investigation of earliest Christianity that began in his Searching for Jesus. Hutchinson draws on personal knowledge of
the Holy Land as well as historical sources to craft a "narrative
retelling of the founding" of Christianity, as documented by the New
Testament and complementary secondary sources. Like a biography, the
book paints a convincing portrait of Jesus. Architectural and
archaeological details -- about the Temple Mount, for instance -- allow for
vivid recreated scenes. Jesus' last week of ministry and death take up
roughly half of the book.
This is a beautifully written book that draws in debates over topics such as how Jesus and various scholars have interpreted "the kingdom of God".
Since this is best conceived as a companion to Searching for Jesus, The Dawn of Christianity focuses on events from Acts and the Epistles, including Peter's ministry and Paul's missionary journeys, but doesn't add much in the way of enlightening commentary. However, the additional information about early martyrdoms and the Council of Jerusalem is fascinating, and the endnotes (a timeline, a chart of who's who in the Holy Land, and extensive notes) are invaluable.
The Dawn of Christianity is a fun, informed survey of early Christianity, a book that best benefits students of early Christianity to answer the ill-informed pessimistic critics of those earlies days of the Jesus Movement.
________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
This is a beautifully written book that draws in debates over topics such as how Jesus and various scholars have interpreted "the kingdom of God".
Since this is best conceived as a companion to Searching for Jesus, The Dawn of Christianity focuses on events from Acts and the Epistles, including Peter's ministry and Paul's missionary journeys, but doesn't add much in the way of enlightening commentary. However, the additional information about early martyrdoms and the Council of Jerusalem is fascinating, and the endnotes (a timeline, a chart of who's who in the Holy Land, and extensive notes) are invaluable.
The Dawn of Christianity is a fun, informed survey of early Christianity, a book that best benefits students of early Christianity to answer the ill-informed pessimistic critics of those earlies days of the Jesus Movement.
________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
