Skip to main content

devotions for christmas -- a book review

Devotions for Christmas: A Celebration to Bring You Joy and Peace is a new devotional from Zondervan provides devotions from December 1 to December 31, and each can be completed and reflected upon in a few or several minutes.  The book covers a variety of topics, such as family traditions and holiday memories, and the authors show how each topic relates to Jesus Christ and Scripture.  Every devotion begins with a relevant Bible verse; for example, the December 20 devotion, "Christmas Stockings", is based on Jeremiah 33.3.

Sadly, though, because the devotional begins with December 1, it confuses Advent -- that season of preparation for Christmas and Epiphany with Christmas, and misses the Christmas season (because it ends with December 31, instead of January 6th, the "twelfth day of Christmas").  So this devotional lacks the internal cohesion of the Christian celebration of Christmas.

While the devotional makes a great Christmas gift, it really isn't my favorite devotional for the season.  There are simply too many other good resources out there to make this one an important enough investment.

________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”