Skip to main content

saving the saved -- a book review

Bryan Loritts' Saving the Saved: How Jesus Saves Us from Try-Harder Christianity into Performance-Free Love explores how a performance-based view of God's love dampens our joy, increases our guilt, and diminishes the glory of our great God.  We want a reason to live:  "You want this.  I want this.  That's why we're on our way to the gym, embarking on another diet and trying with all our might to make better moral choices".  But Lorritts urges us to look to Christ rather than the internal lawyer which seeks to push us to perform more (and condemn us when we don’t meet our standards).  This is an important message for Christians in a day and age where our attempts to avoid liberalism and antinomianism (anti-law) could lead us to swing the pendulum too far.  The answer to these issues is not to run to legalism and performance, but rather to God himself seeking God's abiding love.

Lorritts utilizes Scripture and good theology to explore all the ways in which "performance" faith impacts our spiritual lives.  And he's given us a must-read book in the process.

 ________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”