Skip to main content

rhythms of rest -- a book review

Shelly Miller's Rhythms of Rest: Finding the Spirit of Sabbath in a Busy World is one of the most significant and timely books on Sabbath-keeping that I've read in some while.  Miller has given us a book that our western world needs.  We are entrenched in a society that is obsessed with working, with filling every hour, with being busy and "doing".  Some years ago, I vowed to stop using the pelagian "I'm too busy" excuse to continue in my sin.  "I'm too busy" is never a human life as God intends it.  Simply look at Jesus, at the time he went away for prayer and stopping work, and it's obvious that "finding the Spirit of Sabbath in a busy world" is important theological work.

While so many of us find our value as human beings in our work, Miller reminds us -- a message that's particularly important for pastors to hear -- that we are worthy, we are loved, no matter what!  "In yoga pants, ... in a room that looks like a cyclone hit ...", we are deeply loved.  We don't need to prove ourselves by being exhausted.

I find joy in Miller's way of gently reminding us that being intentional about Sabbath, that there's a rhythm to rest.  It may not be practical to take a whole day a week for rest (and for those of us in the church's ministry it's unlikely to be a Sunday either!), but we can find regular times, even an hour here or there, to just take time out.

If any of this is resonating with your own soul, you simply must read this book!  It's a real timely gift to the church.

_________________
I received a free copy of this book from Bethany House Publishing in exchange for my honest review here.