Some years ago, a friend commented about how often I memorized Scripture -- how I knew where the text had come from as well as the wording of the text. It was odd, he thought, that that kind of detail had been committed to memory. Why not just memorize the gist of the story and let the details fall by the wayside?
My memorizing Scripture has become a topic of discussion lately. Apparently, when I preach and when I pray and when I speak, there are lots of inferences to the text of Scripture. Those words are my words, and that's a bit "odd".
Someone asked why I do it?
Simple, I responded. I memorize Scripture for those times when I don't have the right words. For those times when words of my own just aren't coming, when my own words are either cold or unavailable. Just then, the words of Scripture pop up and kiss my conversations like the Spirit popping up and saying, "There, God loves you".
My memorizing Scripture has become a topic of discussion lately. Apparently, when I preach and when I pray and when I speak, there are lots of inferences to the text of Scripture. Those words are my words, and that's a bit "odd".
Someone asked why I do it?
Simple, I responded. I memorize Scripture for those times when I don't have the right words. For those times when words of my own just aren't coming, when my own words are either cold or unavailable. Just then, the words of Scripture pop up and kiss my conversations like the Spirit popping up and saying, "There, God loves you".