Skip to main content

barth on a budget

I've recently ordered my own copy of Barth's Church Dogmatics -- it's only $199 for the set at christianbook.com right now.  So this morning I've been planning how to go about reading the full set in the coming weeks and months.  I haven't read the full collection since college; I read them over the summer one year, and have read each of the volumes individually since then, but it's been so long since I've worked through the Dogmatics as a whole.

That made me think:  What have I done to absorb so much Barth without owning the Church Dogmatics?  What would it look like for someone who's unfamiliar with Barth, and doesn't have the $200 bucks to put down for hardbacks, actually read to familiarize themselves with good ole Karl?

Books by Barth

1.  First, there's Evangelical Theology:  An Introduction.  It's a simple, straightforward, heart-warming discussion of what it means to practice "evangelical theology".  This book probably should be read by every pastor at least once a year -- particularly the section, "Theological Work".

2.  Then there's Dogmatics in Outline.  No, it's not a summary of Church Dogmatics.  This deceptively little book is instead an exposition of the Apostles' Creed.  I've required every theology class I've ever taught to read it -- and reread it once a year, myself.  It's a very accessible introduction to Barth's theology, and it contains some remarkably profound chapters that'll preach (e.g., the chapter on creation).

3.  The Humanity of God.  I first read this modest little book as a college student in a seminar that focused exclusively on the text.  At the time I didn't appreciate it all that much, but I see it as a work that is important for understanding Barth's mature theology and some of the ways in which his theology changed over time.  While I still think Bonhoeffer was on to something with his criticism that Barth was guilty of a "positivism of revelation", this little book helps to alleviate some of those concerns.

4.  The Gottingen Dogmatics, vol. 1.  If you've never read Barth before, this is the place to begin.  It's based on an early lecture-series from the 1920s, and represents Barth's first attempt at a Dogmatics.  Although Barth's theology matured and developed in many ways, this early work offers a highly accessible, energetic account of some of Barth's deepest and most radical concerns.  (For instance, the chapter on the relationship between theology and preaching is crucial for understanding Barth's whole theological project.  Preachers need to read that section if they read nothing else by Barth!)  Sadly, volume 2 never materialized in English translation.

Books about Barth

1.  Eberhard Busch's The Great Passion:  An Introduction to Karl Barth's Theology.  This is a brilliant introduction written by Barth's former personal assistant.  Busch draws together his unequalled knowledge of Barth's personal life and his penetrating insight into the themes and structure of Barth's theology.

2.  John Franke's Barth for Armchair Theologians.  This little book traces how Barth moved between Church and Academy all his life, and does so in the most accessible way.

3.  John Webster, ed., The Cambridge Companion to Karl Barth.  Like nearly every other volume in the Cambridge Companion series, this one is a first-rate collection of essays by leading scholars and theologians.  The only major shortcoming is that there is not enough specific focus on Barth's biography; but this collection is very helpful for thinking about Barth's relationship to the contemporary theological discussion.