The selection, of course, is from Ralph Stanley. Stanley, one of the bluegrass greats, died a week ago at the age of 89. Few probably know that Dr Stanley was a "no-heller". His music has been a very rich inspiration to me.
But this song comes to mind more today because of the death of my friend, Paul.
Paul was one of the philosophy and religion profs in my undergraduate program. Paul is also the one instrument of the Kingdom to which I can point if people want to know who to blame for introducing me to Jesus.
Funny thing is, Paul always denied being a "spiritual" person. All of those who knew Paul, though, knew him quite simply, as a Christian, a man of a simple, (if you like) flat-cap faith, one on whom the only spirit that matters -- the Holy Spirit -- rested: A person of scrupulous integrity, straight yet not stern (his dry British wit will forever bring a smile to my face), whose Yes was Yes and No was No, who took both his promises as a minister with the utmost seriousness, and who deployed his considerable practical gifts on behalf of the church as well as the academy. He was, in every possible good sense of the word, a professor of that which he believed and knew to be the good, the true, and the beautiful. (Which explains why he was so lovingly connected to Carson-Newman.)
One of those many incidents of life shared with Paul which I shall never forget involves our Philosophy of Religion final exam. Paul, apparently, had overslept. After the class had waited nearly an hour before some began discussing among themselves whether someone should go to the departmental secretary and make a call to see if we were having the exam, Paul appeared a few minutes later. His ubiquitous coffee cup in hand, he began: "I have some grace to dispense. Those of you who remain may write your names on this exam and hand it back to me. You've passed with a perfect score." And with a twinkle in his eye, I knew I was seeing Jesus in action.
I have another parable I can share about that Kingdom of God in Jesus Christ. It begins like this: "The Kingdom of God looks like this -- there once was a man named Paul Brewer ..."