Skip to main content

(un)qualified -- a book review

Steven Furtick's (Un)qualified:  How God Uses Broken People to Do Big Things is a book for which I had high expectations.  It purports to explore that "gap between our weakness and our dreams, between who we are and who God says we are meant to be". 

I had so wanted a rich theological account of God and God's providential care for us.  I had hoped for an exploration of having our wants and needs trained and honed by that care -- teaching us to desire the things the prophets, and Jesus, envision as God's desire for us.

What I found, though, was so much self-help, pop psychology masked as Christian faith.  (Un)qualified is full of "feel good" Christianity -- all the motivation and inspiration with none of the cross.  Absent at the rich textures of an imagination honed by Scripture and the spiritual wisdom of Christians throughout the centuries.  None of Paul's wisdom about Christians as broken vessels.  Instead, Furtick offers a vague sense of who God is and thereby attempts to construct a psychological anthropology.

That means (Un)qualified ultimately left me disappointed.

__________________
I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.