Christopher Kaczor's The Gospel of Happiness: Rediscover Your Faith through Spiritual Practice and Positive Psychology brings the research of positive psychology to bear in understanding Christian practice. Particularly, he explores seven ways in which positive psychology and Christian practice can lead to personal and spiritual transformation.
Kaczor focuses on the empirical findings of most recent positive psychology research, and finds those findings pointing toward the deep wisdom of the Christian spiritual tradition. From practices of prayer and gratitude to forgiveness and virtue, Kaczor provides very practical suggestions on how Christians can live happier lives, while deepening love for God and others through those very practices.
While the book explores some important concepts in positive psychology -- what is happiness? how can we experience it? -- The Gospel of Happiness attempts to answer those questions by reference to Christian spiritual practices. What I'd hoped to find in Kaczor's account is a more robust critical appraisal of positive psychology from a theological perspective. What I found, though, was an uncritical appropriation, and thin connections to those Christian practices.
In all, I think Kaczor left lots of opportunities in the Christian tradition unexplored. I was hopeful before I started. But the more I read, the more frustrated I became.
____________________
I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.
Kaczor focuses on the empirical findings of most recent positive psychology research, and finds those findings pointing toward the deep wisdom of the Christian spiritual tradition. From practices of prayer and gratitude to forgiveness and virtue, Kaczor provides very practical suggestions on how Christians can live happier lives, while deepening love for God and others through those very practices.
While the book explores some important concepts in positive psychology -- what is happiness? how can we experience it? -- The Gospel of Happiness attempts to answer those questions by reference to Christian spiritual practices. What I'd hoped to find in Kaczor's account is a more robust critical appraisal of positive psychology from a theological perspective. What I found, though, was an uncritical appropriation, and thin connections to those Christian practices.
In all, I think Kaczor left lots of opportunities in the Christian tradition unexplored. I was hopeful before I started. But the more I read, the more frustrated I became.
____________________
I received a free copy of this book as part of the Blogging for Books program in exchange for my honest review here.
