Skip to main content

niv zondervan study bible -- a book review

The NIV Zondervan Study Bible, edited by DA Carson, is the newest in the study Bible genre from evangelical scholars.  It has the usual maps and charts one would expect, plus a great set of notes, but also some great short articles in the back by folks like Tim Keller, D.A. Carson, James Hamilton, Pual Williamson, Sam Storms, Graham Cole, Doug Moo and more.  They cover topics like "The Bible and Theology", "A Biblical-Theological Overview of the Bible", "Sacrifice", "Kingdom of God", "The Gospel", and "Mission".  The NIV Zondervan Study Bible is also unique, I think, in that it is filled with colored pictures of ancient archaeology sites in places like Egypt, Israel, Corinth, Ephesus, and Rome. 

It brings together some of the best exegetical reflections from evangelical biblical scholars along with some of the newest research in biblical archaeology, in order to bring the biblical text alive with meaning for the contemporary Church.  The NIV Zondervan Study Bible, in that way, bridges so much of what is strong about contemporary evangelical scholarship with the contemporary needs of the Church.  I was particularly excited to see Timothy Keller's essay, "The Story of the Bible:  How the Good News about Jesus is Central".  The title of that essay alone frames what I love about this study Bible:  It doesn't forget the point of biblical interpretation.  That biblical interpretation is a christological practice for disciples.

This is a study Bible for your shelves!

___________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”