Randy Petersen's The Printer and the Preacher: Ben Franklin, George Whitefield, and the Surprising Friendship that Invented America is a rare thing. It is a biography of a friendship. What's more, this friendship is among the rarest in American history: That of the devout Great Awakening preacher, George Whitefield, and the Deist, Ben Franklin. This friendship demonstrates all the wonders of a genuine friendship because both men sustained that friendship despite their extremely different ideas and views. (A rare thing in our culture.)
The Printer and the Preacher is a rare story. I don't recall having ever heard it before I read Petersen's account. But what you find here are biographies of each, and a larger narrative of their friendship (complete with letters exchanged between them). Despite their religious differences, the fiery Calvinist preacher and the deist printer shared some fundamental aspects that made their friendship mutually profitable and also of importance for the United States as a whole. Their shared origin as ambitious commoners who read voraciously and had a deep concern for the legitimacy of the common people, as well as for social morality and responsibility in general, and who never really truly fit in among the elites of England or colonial America, along with their common interests in publicity and celebrity, gave them a striking friendship that began in business and eventually got personal.
While Petersen's account is mostly chronological, Petersen makes a striking argument for the need for friendships -- such as that between Franklin and Whitefield -- to sustain the American experiment into the future.
This is a book not to be missed.
__________________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
The Printer and the Preacher is a rare story. I don't recall having ever heard it before I read Petersen's account. But what you find here are biographies of each, and a larger narrative of their friendship (complete with letters exchanged between them). Despite their religious differences, the fiery Calvinist preacher and the deist printer shared some fundamental aspects that made their friendship mutually profitable and also of importance for the United States as a whole. Their shared origin as ambitious commoners who read voraciously and had a deep concern for the legitimacy of the common people, as well as for social morality and responsibility in general, and who never really truly fit in among the elites of England or colonial America, along with their common interests in publicity and celebrity, gave them a striking friendship that began in business and eventually got personal.
While Petersen's account is mostly chronological, Petersen makes a striking argument for the need for friendships -- such as that between Franklin and Whitefield -- to sustain the American experiment into the future.
This is a book not to be missed.
__________________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
