Skip to main content

10 books every young pastor should read every year

It's graduation time again.  Seminarians will have written their exams, passed their psychologicals, and be preparing to enter churches in coming months as freshly-minted ministers.  Every now and then I'm asked what books pastors (both those who are entering ministry and those who are seasoned veterans) should read every year.  This is the list of those books I've found to sustain my own identity and work.
  1. Gregory the Great's Pastoral Rule
  2. Karl Barth's Dogmatics in Outline
  3. Jurgen Moltmann's Crucified God
  4. Catherine LaCugna's God for Us
  5. Julian of Norwich's Revelations of Divine Love
  6. Helmut Thielicke's A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  7. Alexander Schmemann's For the Life of the World
  8. Walter Bruegemann's The Prophetic Imagination
  9. Walter Wink's The Powers that Be
  10. Richard Foster's Celebration of Discipline
I've left off Bonhoeffer -- but that's only because I don't aim to replicate my own view of ministry.