Skip to main content

prayer is hallowing

The atmosphere that brisk November day drew people in. They came looking for something to eat, but they wanted something more, too. I'd be lifting a box of food, in the noise and bustle of the crowd that day in the fellowship hall, when a grieving woman, a lonely immigrant, a sick man – all in succession – came up to me to ask, “Will you pray for me?”

It was obvious my function that day. I was the pastor, and I was dressed like the pastor – with a clerical collar – so I wore the “target” for all those who needed, food sure, but prayer too.

So each time I took a deep breath, and prayed with those who asked. Ed, a filthy white guy who was out of work and had his hungry wife and three kids in the car, begging for help. One of our town's most insane and drug-addicted visitors ranted, in no particular sequence, all of the things she needed for prayer. “I can't do this much longer, preacher, please ask God to help me.”

Despite all the hysteria, I make the sign of the cross over them, offer a few words of prayer to God for them, and a strange calm comes over them.

So I would still sit with them, and let them talk or cry. I'd listen and lay my hand over them as I prayed. I never really know where those words come from. I still feel homey offering those prayers; there's nothing mysterious there. But I still cry.

When the Church goes about its work with the broken, with those on the margins, one of the first things we're compelled to do is pray. And if there's one thing about prayer I've learned over the years, it's this: Prayer hallows.

Imagine someone comes to you and shares a great burden. They share loss, failure, despair, fear, brokenness, or sickness. Their own or that of someone they love. What do you say upon listening? Thanks for sharing? Good luck with all that? I'm so sorry? Something has happened, something was shared, that needs to be set apart from every other mundane and silly thing that has happened during the day. The moment needs to be hallowed set apart, consecrated, made holy.

And so you pray. Prayer is hallowing our daily lives.

I think about the prayer time during worship. We go around sharing a variety of requests. People are sick. People are traveling. People are struggling. People are broken. People are afraid. And after gathering all these requests, having opened ourselves up to each other, what are we to say in response? “Thanks for sharing, everyone”, doesn't quite cut it. The moment – where we weep with those who weep and rejoice with those rejoice – needs hallowing. And so we pray. Our sharing wasn't just “catching up” around the water cooler. Something sacred was going on. And so we pray. We hallow.