John Thompson's Jesus, Bread, and Chocolate: Crafting a Handmade Faith in a Mass-Market World is a book you don't want to miss. From artisan bread-making, coffee roasting, chocolatiers, micro-breweries, farmers markets, and indie musicians, Thompson's new book is a call to leave the "mass marketing" world and embracing the care, time and attention responsible for making local economies. And all as a matter of the Christian faith.
Because, as Thompson rightly insists, there's a connection to be made between faith and chocolate. Brewing has a long history in the Church. Bread is at the heart of a liturgical and ritual life together. If Jesus is "the Bread of Life", why, Thompson asks, are we Christians so comfortable eating such mass-produced, and unhealthy, bread in our own lives? Thompson -- himself a part of Indie music for decades -- also insists that hand-crafted music is a matter of faith, too.
And interwoven throughout all this good theology is a spiritual memoir of Thompson's own growth in the faith. What stands out to me after having read that memoir, is the miracle of Thompson's Christian life at all. But that's as it should be. That I'm a Christian, says more about Jesus than it does about me. And Jesus, Bread, and Chocolate highlights that in page after page.
What's the message to be taken from this book? That there's something more to the life our culture attempts to foist on us in its mass-marketed world. Finding out what that is is going to take some time, some starts and stops in faith. But in the end, don't be surprised if Jesus grabs your heart-strings after having read Thompson's story.
__________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
Because, as Thompson rightly insists, there's a connection to be made between faith and chocolate. Brewing has a long history in the Church. Bread is at the heart of a liturgical and ritual life together. If Jesus is "the Bread of Life", why, Thompson asks, are we Christians so comfortable eating such mass-produced, and unhealthy, bread in our own lives? Thompson -- himself a part of Indie music for decades -- also insists that hand-crafted music is a matter of faith, too.
And interwoven throughout all this good theology is a spiritual memoir of Thompson's own growth in the faith. What stands out to me after having read that memoir, is the miracle of Thompson's Christian life at all. But that's as it should be. That I'm a Christian, says more about Jesus than it does about me. And Jesus, Bread, and Chocolate highlights that in page after page.
What's the message to be taken from this book? That there's something more to the life our culture attempts to foist on us in its mass-marketed world. Finding out what that is is going to take some time, some starts and stops in faith. But in the end, don't be surprised if Jesus grabs your heart-strings after having read Thompson's story.
__________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
