Skip to main content

divided -- a book review

Bill Delvaux's Divided:  When the Head and Heart Don't Agree is a book premised on some simple idea:  That the love of God with one's head is the same love of God with one's heart.  What our culture so easily divides -- in this case, what we believe in our hearts from what we believe in our heads -- genuine discipleship with Jesus bridges and unites.  Divided is another of Thomas Nelson's Refraction Series, but since I had such a wonderful time with the other volumes, I was excited to dive into this book.

And I wasn't disappointed.

There are no Christians I don't who don't struggle with this radical division.  Regularly, in spiritual direction and in pastoral counseling, the division of head and heart pops up.  The problem is such a web of issues that it's rather intricate a web to untangle.  But in his 190 pages, Delvaux has accomplished a pastoral task that must not go unnoticed and unappreciated in the Church.

Here, he not only diagnoses how the divide happens and what are its results (Part I), but he also offers thoughtful wisdom for what to do (Part II) and how to understand what genuine unity between head and heart look like for Christians (Part III).  But the book practices what it preaches:  This isn't just another well-thought-out head trip, it's a genuine spiritual discipline in reuniting what has often been divided, through story and practice.  That's because each chapter contains its own questions for journaling (practicing!).

But it's the pastoral vulnerability, the deep spiritual wisdom, with which Delvaux writes that most impresses me. 

This isn't a book you should miss.

____________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”