It Was Me All Along: A Memoir is unlike any other weight loss book I've ever seen. While most are quick to get to the weight loss victory, Mitchell has given us a book free of weight shaming or condemnation. It doesn't take the quick road to victory. Instead, she has given us a story of suffering and survival, of coping and coming to grips, accepting being "the fat girl" and then making lasting changes. Being fat is really
misunderstood in our culture. A person's size might be more of an indication of deeper problems and is
a cloak of protection as it was for Andie. "I built walls around myself
with bricks of cake, using frosting as a mortar" (p. 68). Just like in
food writing, often food is the conduit through which to talk about
deeper truths. Unlike alcohol, food addiction isn't something one can
abstain from consuming entirely.
And it's here that Mitchell's story will mirror so many others. Weight often accompanies depression, support groups, calorie counting and binging. And all those are a part of It Was Me All Along.
There are moments in the book where I found myself squeamish on her behalf, like watching her as a child in a room full of adults at a Weight Watchers meeting. When she and a group of college friends are passing a frat house, pausing to find out about the party going on inside as a frat member looks at her and yells, "No fatties allowed!!" (p. 103), I winced. She brings the reader into the scenes of her life as a witness. I sobbed when I read about her father's death. But even, and especially in the struggles to make a lifelong change to lose weight, we see her character shine on: "Moments when I felt my weakest, when I was absolutely certain that I’d rather give up than keep going: that was when I learned what I’m made of" (p. 129). And this is where the book really excels. That is a learned quality anyone can glom onto, whether weight is the challenge or perhaps something else, like addiction.
So more than being squeamish, there are occasions of celebration.
Truth is, this is a book for everyone to read. And celebrate.
__________________
I received this book free, from the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review.
And it's here that Mitchell's story will mirror so many others. Weight often accompanies depression, support groups, calorie counting and binging. And all those are a part of It Was Me All Along.
There are moments in the book where I found myself squeamish on her behalf, like watching her as a child in a room full of adults at a Weight Watchers meeting. When she and a group of college friends are passing a frat house, pausing to find out about the party going on inside as a frat member looks at her and yells, "No fatties allowed!!" (p. 103), I winced. She brings the reader into the scenes of her life as a witness. I sobbed when I read about her father's death. But even, and especially in the struggles to make a lifelong change to lose weight, we see her character shine on: "Moments when I felt my weakest, when I was absolutely certain that I’d rather give up than keep going: that was when I learned what I’m made of" (p. 129). And this is where the book really excels. That is a learned quality anyone can glom onto, whether weight is the challenge or perhaps something else, like addiction.
So more than being squeamish, there are occasions of celebration.
Truth is, this is a book for everyone to read. And celebrate.
__________________
I received this book free, from the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review.
