Having never been an artist, I was intrigued by Carol Marine's idea of Daily Painting: Paint Small and Often to Become A More Creative, Productive and Successful Artist. As a genuine internet phenomenon, the Daily Painting Movement has picked up steam since around 2005, with Marine hosting her own blog of her daily painting. The movement represents a genuine sea-change in the way artists relate to audience. Marine, in particular, has become noted not only for her small
paintings, with their inventive compositions, geometrically strong forms
and bold colors, but as one of the primary proponents of encouraging
others to take up daily painting -- thorough articles on her blog, a series of online tutorials and in-person workshops.
So I expected a book like Daily Painting to be a light-weight introduction to the movement and to the art of painting a picture-a-day. I was wrong.
Daily Painting is an extensive, well-reasoned and well-written exploration packed with information for the novice.
Daily Painting actually succeeds on three levels: As an introduction to the practice of daily painting and a detailed guide to following it; as a coach-like encouragement to follow through, keep on track and overcome problems like artist’s block; and as a basic guide to the fundamentals of oil painting.
There's information here on the basics (like picking materials, composition, proportion, mixing colors, etc.) along with particular information about how to photograph your daily painting to present on a blog.
But the book at its very heart really is an means of learning to "paint small and often to become a more creative, productive and successful artist.
__________________
I received this book free, from the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review.
So I expected a book like Daily Painting to be a light-weight introduction to the movement and to the art of painting a picture-a-day. I was wrong.
Daily Painting is an extensive, well-reasoned and well-written exploration packed with information for the novice.
Daily Painting actually succeeds on three levels: As an introduction to the practice of daily painting and a detailed guide to following it; as a coach-like encouragement to follow through, keep on track and overcome problems like artist’s block; and as a basic guide to the fundamentals of oil painting.
There's information here on the basics (like picking materials, composition, proportion, mixing colors, etc.) along with particular information about how to photograph your daily painting to present on a blog.
But the book at its very heart really is an means of learning to "paint small and often to become a more creative, productive and successful artist.
__________________
I received this book free, from the Blogging for Books program, in exchange for my honest review.