I'm a critical person -- or, more to the point, I like to complain. A lot. I'm far more gracious in writing because writing makes me convert my whining to a point. And sometimes I find that my whining is better left unwritten. I have begun many a blog post here, only to stop, mid-sentence, and step away. Upon returning, I just delete all I've written. Because there's wisdom in knowing the difference between a genuine criticism and a childish whine. And in what you do about both.
So I was rather convicted this morning when I read the appointed Psalm for morning prayer: Psalm 62. Here are verses 2-4:
Contrast that with God. If Rahner is right -- the "immanent" Trinity is the "economic" Trinity -- then there's a consistency with what we know about God. The triune God who has acted in Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit in the world (the "economic" Trinity) is the same God who is eternally the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (the "immanent" Trinity). The point here is that there's no God behind God. The God who is loving in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit in the world isn't secretly the bad god who wants to work evil in the world. What we see is what we get when it comes to God. There's an integrity to God.
Surely that's an integrity that I -- and the entire Body of Christ -- am called to imitate.
So I was rather convicted this morning when I read the appointed Psalm for morning prayer: Psalm 62. Here are verses 2-4:
How long will you assail a person,That last sentence hit home most: "They bless with their mouths, but inwardly they curse". If I'm spiritually honest, my outward expressions often lack alignment with my inward feelings. Which is another way of saying: I don't have integrity.
will you batter your victim, all of you,
as you would a leaning wall, a tottering fence?
Their only plan is to bring down a person of prominence.
They take pleasure in falsehood;
they bless with their mouths,
but inwardly they curse.
Contrast that with God. If Rahner is right -- the "immanent" Trinity is the "economic" Trinity -- then there's a consistency with what we know about God. The triune God who has acted in Jesus Christ by the Holy Spirit in the world (the "economic" Trinity) is the same God who is eternally the Father, Son and Holy Spirit (the "immanent" Trinity). The point here is that there's no God behind God. The God who is loving in Jesus Christ by the power of the Holy Spirit in the world isn't secretly the bad god who wants to work evil in the world. What we see is what we get when it comes to God. There's an integrity to God.
Surely that's an integrity that I -- and the entire Body of Christ -- am called to imitate.
