I hate, I despise our wars. But I don't hate our soldiers.
The fallen dead of our wars are a stench that rises up to God. Because of it, he does not accept our sacrifices.
Even though we bring him prayers and sacrifices of praise today, he doesn't accept them. Away with all the noise of our patriotic anthems. God doesn't listen to all our worshipful posturing on days like today.
Instead, let justice roll on like a river. Let righteousness flow like a roaring stream -- until the waters of God's Kingdom's peace wash over all the earth, and destroy our wars.
See, I'm convinced engaging in armed conflict goes against everything King Jesus commands. I still respect the fallen dead. They thought they fought for the good, the true, the noble.
But more than respect them, I mourn them.
And more than mourn, I confess our human -- all-too-human, apparently -- proclivities and sins that kill others.
I think we Americans, today, must commit to cutting military spending, especially if we continue to pray, "God bless America". But I think we should increase spending on medical and psychological care for veterans. The high rates of mental illness, divorce, and suicide among military veterans causes me deep sorrow today.
Today, someone posted on Facebook a cartoon of a youngster, holding a newspaper. She said in the cartoon that the Iraqi war veteran who'd lost his leg was a hero because he'd killed bad men.
But how do we know who the "bad men" are?
Remember what King Jesus said? "Love your enemies."
Is there a way, on Remembrance Sunday, to mourn the dead without honoring acts of destruction? A way to remember those whose lives have been destroyed, in myriads of ways, without condoning the acts of violence soldiers commit? A way to advocate for better treatment of soldiers without supporting the work of the military industrial complex?
I believe the only way we Christians can pray on Remembrance Sunday is to pray for God's will to be done on earth as it is in heaven. I believe the only way we Christians can worship on Remembrance Sunday is to proclaim the Gospel of King Jesus, who has us working as agents of reconciliation instead of as agents of state violence. I believe the only way to honor veterans is to ensure there are no more veterans -- American, Iraqi, or otherwise.
See, this is my dilemma on days like this.
