Some years ago, I taught our introductory theology course utilizing the Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments, much in the tradition of Luther's Catechism. So I was excited to find Hooker's richly developed biblical theology of the Ten Commandments as a modern call for the Christian moral life.
After his excellent introductory chapter on the significance and background of the "Ten Words" of Moses, he launches into a chapter-length treatment of each of the Commandments from five perspectives: The ancient near eastern background; the original meaning; the way that commandment was remembered in Israel's history; the New Testament remembering of the particular commandment; and, finally, its contemporary meaning and application.
The concluding chapter offers a theological perspective on the role of these commandments in the contemporary Church.
Rooker, as I said, has given us a rich biblical theology of the Ten Commandments. He constantly reminds us of the faithful and graceful context of these Commandments, and how they form a theology of grace even in the Old Testament. Though page 190 undermined that beautiful -- and right -- perspective to a great degree. There, Rooker claims that though God called for Israel's obedience, he left them without the means to obey.
And his curious conclusions with the Fourth Commandment -- that it no longer applies to Christians -- only further undermines his entire argument.
This is a great treatment of the Ten Commandments, and its exegetical treatment of the Hebrew is surperb, even if I disagree with some of his conclusions. But, eventually, there are other theological readings that offer contemporary pastoral wisdom -- like Hauerwas' and Willimon's Truth about God: The Ten Commandments in the Christian Life -- that are more approachable and useful.
____________
I was provided a free copy of this book from B&H Publishing in exchange for my honest review.
