Skip to main content

52 little lessons from Les Miserables -- a book review

I've loved Les Misérables since I first read it in high school.  Hugo's vivid portrayal of Jean Valjean's growth into kindness is perhaps one of the greatest in all literature.  Hugo has given us a classic that stood the tests of time. 
And while I love the book, my wife is drawn to the play, and more recently the 2012 movie.  But whether it's the book, the play or the movie, Les Misérables captivates hearts and minds for a reason. 

So I was doubly excited to read Bob Welch's 52 Little Lessons from Les Misérables.  Welch's little book supplements that classic in so many ways.  And he offers us a little gem that will grace bookshelves. 

Unlike Hugo's writing, Welch offers brief devotionals on the story that can be read in a single sitting -- I know I did.  But it also works as a devotional that has weekly readings for a full year.  Either way, these short chapters are filled with a spiritual wisdom that Christans need to hear.  That wisdom will have readers digging deeper into Hugo's writing, mining practical ideas that often go unnoticed.  And there are questions at the end that make this book an excellent resource for Sunday School classes and small discipleship groups. 

Hugo's Les Misérables is a theological classic in its own right.  And now Walch's book will open it up to new generations.  

But, lector caveat -- reader, beware:  Welch's little book will have you reaching for the soundtrack and watching your DVD copies and even (gasp!) rereading Hugo's own words.  Because Welch is so great a guide that it won't do just to take the little tours.  That's the sign of a spiritual classic in its own right.  

I couldn't recommend 52 Little Lessons from Les Misérables more highly. 

__________________
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookLook Bloggers <http://booklookbloggers.com> book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 <http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_03/16cfr255_03.html> : “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”