Skip to main content

12 books for ministers

I suppose it's because I'm a pastor who trained as a theologian.  It might also be because I went to Duke Divinity.  But I'd like to think it's because I believe that loving God means honing the Christian mind to think theologically.  That is why I regularly tell young ministers to read.  

And I've discovered over the years certain books that are essential to read every year for those who are in ministry.  This is that list. 

January:  Gregory the Great, Pastoral Rule

February:  Dante, Divine Comedy

March:  Karl Barth, Dogmatics in Outline

April:  Augustine, Confessions

May:  Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Discipleship

June:  Julian of Norwich, Revelations of Divine Love

July:  George Herbert, The Country Parson

August:  Richard Baxter, The Reformed Pastor

September:  The Cloud of Unknowing

October:  Brennan Manning, The Ragamuffin Gospel

November:  Jürgen Moltmann, The Crucified God

December:  Dallas Willard, The Spirit of the Disciplines