Skip to main content

the best bits of Barth


A friend asked if I'd suggest the best bits of Barth's Church Dogmatics.  I still think there's nothing better than diving into the whole (the traditional T&T Clark set is pictured above), but all the volumes can be overwhelming, unless you have about 3 years to finish.

So, that said ...

Here are five sections, that, for me, are the great peaks of the Church Dogmatics, the sections where you meet Barth at his very best.  And these are the bits that I tend to revisit most often myself:
  • from II/2:  §33 (on election)
  • from III/2:  §47 (on time)
  • from III/3:  §50 (on the nothingness)
  • from IV/1:  §59.1 (on the Son in a far country)
  • the IV/4 fragment (on baptism)
So, what have I forgotten? Any other sections that stand out for you? Anything else that can be mentioned in the same breath as these great meditations?