Skip to main content

the gospel according to karaoke

I've been mulling over some theological ideas about singing karaoke for over a week now.  After suffering through a bad case of cluster headaches for nearly 24 hours -- a round that has included some new, not cool symptoms -- I wanted to record where I'm going with this.  So ...

At our wedding, we had karaoke, and I noticed a few things. 

Karaoke is a practice of vulnerability and community.  You take a risk when you get up in front of strangers to sing a song.  And yet, the quality of your singing doesn't matter.  What matters is jumping in and taking a risk.  Being exposed and vulnerable is what is welcomed.  That's what gets you the embrace, just getting up there and participating.  Being an exposed and vulnerable human being. 

That's what I'm calling "the gospel of karaoke".  Karaoke is a model of the Kingdom of God. 

Church, I think, should look more like a Karaoke night at a bar.  We should be willing to be exposed and vulnerable in the church.  Being the "best" -- being all cleaned up and put together -- isn't what it is supposed to be about.  You're not expected to be a great singer at a Karaoke night.  Being "good" doesn't matter.  What matters is sharing in the communal vulnerability and solidarity. 

You don't get much of that shared vulnerability and embrace in the church.  But you do on a Karaoke night.

The Gospel According to Karaoke.  

I'm thinking that should be the title of my next article.