The Greek word katallagete is the word used for the imperative "be reconciled" from 2 Corinthians 5.20. I try to make the case -- all the time -- that this is the NT's simple rule for everyday Christians.
As a minister, folks ask me from time to time what they should do in a certain circumstance. And I quote to them 2 Corinthians 5.20.
What sort of message is that? What am I getting at?
Simply this: Be reconciled, with everyone. More precisely, recognize that you are, in Christ, already reconciled to every human being. The goal, then, is simply to be what you are, a reconciled person.
If that still seems a bit vague, let me unpack it in three steps.
First, we recognize that reconciliation is a new social reality that has been created by Christ. This is firmly a Christian confession.
Second, we recognize that this reality eradicates all other human categories, group memberships, boundaries, or designations that may be interposed between two human beings -- be those boundaries moral (saint vs. sinner), legal (criminal vs. law abiding), national (nation vs. nation), political (Democrat vs. Republican), religious (religious vs. irreligious), sexual orientation (straight vs. gay), racial (black vs. white), gender (male vs. female), economic (rich vs. poor), and on and on. This is why I take Galatians 3.28 extremely seriously.
Because of the reconciling work of Christ these boundaries -- these "worldly points of view" (2 Corinthians 5.16) -- no longer exist.
Third, we enact this new social reality. We live as if these social boundaries do not exist. We no longer regard anyone from a "worldly point of view". We live reconciled to everyone. Simple as that.
You don't have to do much of anything to be a Christian by way of mission or ministry. You simply have to live as a reconciled human being. And the simplicity here can be a bit shocking.
Let me put it straight out.
You don't have to do anything. Christians are.
Do nothing. Be reconciled. Simple at that.
Inevitably, people wind up asking: What should I do?
I'm divorced and I don't know the Christian thing to do. We're sharing custody of the kids and I'm not sure how a Christian should act; what do I do? I'm having trouble figuring out my mission in the world; have any advice? I'm choosing a major; which direction do I go?
All those are important questions.
Sometimes, of course, folks get it. They'll grow frustrated and say, "Sounds like you're telling me to do nothing".
I'll simply smile and nod. Because being Christian really is this simple: Do nothing. Be something.
Specifically: Be reconciled. That is the whole message of being a real Christian anyway. Just be what you say you are -- a Christian.